I went to an opening for a Cryotherapy bar in LA – Cold & Thirsty – and met the wonderful Heather. She’s full of energy, ideas and is a natural connector. We got talking over a glass or two of bubbly and I discovered she was a badass entrepreneur with her own PR business, powered by purpose and passion. She’s full of wisdom and an amazing, humbling Woman Crush Wednesday for this week! Seriously…. so many pearls of wisdom in here, it’s unbelievable!
What do you do and why do you do it?
I am an entrepreneur and in every endeavor, my intention has been to make a difference. After years of exploring my strengths, the clover brand was born with the goal of being fresh, forward and for the good (also our tagline). The first company I started with my business partner, Alana Littler, was clover PR, a conscious agency that represents game changers in beauty, health, wellness and fitness. I’ve been so blessed to put my marketing skills to work with brands that are doing incredible work from the heart!
After our PR firm grew some wings, we felt drawn to create a product-driven brand with the main focus of giving proceeds back to the causes we cared about most. That’s how clover cloth was born! clover cloth is a street-to-studio apparel line featuring super soft tanks, tees and sweatshirts with bold prints gold and silver foil accents to add a little glam. Our collection uses 100% fair-trade cotton, is made locally, and we donate a portion of the proceeds from every sale to Trees.org. We select a limited edition design from every collection and donate 25% of the proceeds to a specific charity.
What’s the best gift you ever got?
I’ve received a lot of amazing gifts, but for me it’s really about giving. I LOVE to find that perfect gift for my fiancé, friends, family, co-workers, or help a friend find what they are looking for… I really should start something around this! For me it’s the personalization of gift giving that makes me so happy because a smile on the face of someone I love is priceless. I’ve founds it’s a creative outlet for me too.
What’s the worst gift you ever got?
Hmmm… I had to think about this one. Maybe I’ve blocked the bad ones out of my memory, LOL. The weirdest gift had to be a random package of lingerie I got in the mail. At first I had no idea who it was from so I called my dad (he’s my best bud and I tell him almost everything) but we couldn’t figure it out. It turned out it was a woman he was dating (awwwkward)! She had snuck my address from my dad’s phone and sent me lingerie as a belated present for my birthday!!. #epicfail
What’s your advice for all things love, sex and dating?
A few things I would have shared with my younger self along the way:
- Be you. Be fearless.
- Don’t compromise for just anyone.
- TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL
- Enjoy every step in your journey because you learn from each experience. Embrace yourself and stop comparing to others.
- Live with your cousin (or bestie) sooner because it will be some of the best years of your life and you’ll never forget them.
What’s your go to pick me up?
To gain perspective on a situation I usually call my Dad, my fiancé Nick or my business partner Alana – they always give the best advice that is unbiased and mindful. No matter what challenge or emotion I am having, I feel better after talking to my trifecta.
To unwind I love meditating. Being outside (walking the back bay in OC or on the beach). Wine tasting back home (Napa Valley) and wine dates with girlfriends. Friday tapas night with my fiancé – the perfect end to a long week.
Snuggles with my pup Moose work like a charm too. (@moosetheyorkie if you feel like stalking)
- Tell us about your first heartbreak…
This feels like ages ago. I was with my high school sweet heart who was two years older – the super star baseball player at another high school and about to get drafted. His senior year, his dreams came true and he was drafted to the minors for baseball immediately after his mother said we needed to break up because I was a distraction. I didn’t blame him, he needed to focus but I was crushed.
Thanks to a good friend of mine, I found out in the midst of our fairytale reunion a year later that he actually had been cheating on me…more than just once. I was crushed…AGAIN!
After I found that out it wasn’t ever the same with us. He wanted a trophy wife, not a partner and I needed to do what was right for me. We broke up right before Christmas and I felt an instant sense of relief. Oh puppy love! 😉
Tell us about a time you Bounced Back better than ever
For me it’s not as much about the details of the scenario but more about what was consistent in each of those moments to help me soar through them.
- My Peeps // I am so thankful for the core friendships I have to help me when I am low. From much-needed sleepovers and wine nights, to a giving me a swift kick in the ass, I’ve ALWAYS been blessed with the best tribe who supports me through anything.
- My Faith // It’s definitely had it’s ups and downs through the years but when I’ve been brought to my knees at various stages in my life (feuding with family, realizing $28K a year doesn’t make you rich and needing to go to college ASAP, leaving a job for a pipedream or on the edge because one more thing went wrong that day), I’ve always come back to my faith. Whether you believe in God, Buddha, a pet rock, or magical fairies – it doesn’t matter but that connection to a higher source will help you through challenges in ways things on this earth can’t.
- My Journal // I am a very outward, wear-my-life-on-my-sleeve kind of extrovert, but sometimes even I don’t want to talk. My journal helps me get out what I need to when I can’t verbalize it.
- My Pup // Companionship is huge! My little fur baby has snuggled me when I needed it most and is always there to make me smile. No matter what has happened in my day I can always count on him to spin circles and jump in my arms every time I walk through my front door.
Photo Credit: Elizabeth Zuluaga Photography